The heart of the Armory Park neighborhood is, of course, Armory Park itself. Here’s a message from the Downtown Tucson Partnership on what is being done to make it better:
We’ve formed the Armory Park Activation Team which is a focus group designed to address specific issues at Armory Park. The team includes the staff of the Ward 6 Office, Diana Amado; City of Tucson Parks and Recreation Dept. (including Armory Park Senior Center staff), Donna Thomas, Stacey Belhumeur, Lara Hamwey & Greg Jackson; Tucson Police Department (TPD), Lt. Belinda Morales & Capt. Corey Doggett; Downtown Tucson Partnership (DTP), Kathleen Eriksen, Russ Stone & Zach Baker; and the Children’s Museum, Hilary Van Alsburg.
- Discussion regarding the importance of cross communication and promotion, Zach Baker
- Update on safety concerns including campers under the canopy, Russ Stone & Lt. Belinda Morales
- Additional lighting along 12th Street through the TEP Dusk to Dawn Program, Diana Amado & Zach Baker
- Additional surveillance and presence from TPD, Lt Belinda Morales
- Coordination between TPD and DTP Safety Ambassadors, Lt. Belinda Morales & Russ Stone
- Updated stats regarding drug related arrests made in Armory Park (July1 – October 1), Lt. Belinda Morales
- Update on Prop 407 with the community outreach process to begin in six months, Greg Jackson
- Discussion w/ Children’s Museum regarding North lawn activation, needs to be mission driven (Children’s Museum) and needs City and neighborhood buy-in and support, Greg Jackson & Diana Amado
- Parks & Rec hired a new intern to lead programming efforts and establish a streamlined (and free) process for park events/reservations. Intern to work closely with DTP staff for business contacts for fitness classes and cross promotional efforts, Stacy Belhumeur & Zach Baker
- Discussion regarding the need to extend contracted security at Armory Park into the evening hours, Greg Jackson & Donna Thomas
UPCOMING EVENTS @ ARMORY PARK:
· September 28, 4-6 pm: Ready, Set, Rec
· September 30, 7:30-8:30 pm: Tucson Pride Parade
· October 15, 10 am-10 pm: 25th Annual Chili Cook-Off (Tucson Fire Fighters Association)
· October 22, 9:30 am-12:30 pm: 6th Avenue Asphalt Art Project
· For a schedule of events and programs inside the Armory Park Center, visit https://www.tucsonaz.gov/parks/armorycenter#schedule.
· We will continue to stay in touch with you via email to let you know about events, activations and other opportunities to get involved.
We’re excited with the momentum and look forward to the continued activation at Armory Park! Thank you for your support and feel free to reach out to DTP with any questions, ideas or concerns.
With much appreciation, Kathleen
Kathleen Eriksen, President & CEO
Downtown Tucson Partnership